Friday, April 24, 2009

Extra Recipe #1 - Whole Wheat Bread

As part of the healthy eating we've been doing, we are only eating whole wheat/whole grain bread. It's healthier and, I think, tastier than white bread. White bread is all the Husband and I ate when we were kids - but didn't everyone? There may be some crunchy granola kids out there whose parents only fed them organic soy beans and tofu smoothies, but not us. We ate white bread and we loved it. We had no idea it wasn't the best thing for you to do, like riding on the handlebars of your friend's bike while not wearing a helmet and then getting scratched and scraped all over when she crashed into a blackberry bush. But anyway, we ate white bread and did crazy things and we all survived.



But now we see all of these healthy foods come out with a huge emphasis on whole grains and how they're so much better for your body. And something I don't understand is that whole grains are the original form of these little buggers that haven't been refined. Once the grains are refined, they're used for white bread. So why did everyone go through all that trouble to remove the husks and refine these grains to turn them into white bread? Why weren't they just left in their original form? It would have been much less work.



So, armed with this information we are now eating whole wheat/grain breads. They're a little expensive at about $3.50/loaf and the loaves are smaller than what you'll get for a loaf of white. We were in a new Kroger in town recently and found this brand of flour:






First of all, it says organic - the magic word that makes everything healthier, right? Ehh, not so much, but this isn't a post about organic vs. non-organic food. Anyway, this whole wheat flour sounded like the perfect excuse to make my own bread. Plus, there was a bread recipe on the package which was reason enough to make it. Recipe to come soon.


Whole Wheat Bread





Whole Wheat Bread



The recipe indicated it would be about two hours to make the bread from beginning to end. This was somewhat bad timing because I didn't begin this process until about 7:45pm, but I figured 'what the heck.' This dough called for yeast, which was something I haven't used in a while when I make bread. I've been using a bottle of light beer for the yeast, which actually really works well. Corona has been my beer of choice. The only problem with using beer as yeast is that the bread really develops that yeasty beer taste after a few days. You have to eat it quickly or it will start to ferment. You don't want that.



The dough went into the oiled pan and as I searched in vain for a warm place in our drafty positively air tight, lovely 75-year old house, I suddenly remembered our pseudo laundry room right off of the kitchen. I plopped the bread pan on top of the dryer, laid a damp cloth over the bread, set the dryer for 40 minutes, and went off to watch TV. Foolproof, right? Well, the dough did rise but not quite enough. The recipe called for it to double and it was probably another 40 minutes from completely being doubled, but at this point it was approaching 9:30 and I knew it still had 45-50 minutes to bake. That was probably the downfall of this whole experience - the fact that it didn't rise all the way. Must be a better steward of time next time I do this.




I also put some sesame and sunflower seeds on top of the dough before it went in the oven to emulate the store bought brands. Next time I may try to bake those into the bread because when it came out of the oven, the seeds and nuts hadn't adhered at all. When I inverted the bread onto the cooling rack, all of the seeds and nuts fell off onto the counter top. Lesson learned. It absolutely smelled heavenly, though! I immediately cut it into slices to let the heat escape so I could store it and get to bed - it's about 10:30pm by now and I'm fading fast. The Husband worked late and had just arrived home when the bread came out, so he was the first to try a piece. It was good but kind of dense. The full rise definitely would have prevented that.



I do want to try to make this bread again, though. I'll do a few things differently: full rise, seeds and nuts in the bread, and mix in less flour even if it's really sticky. It called for an initial 2 cups of flour but up to 2-3 more to add in to the final dough. I used a little more than 5 because the kneading process was becoming a sticky mound on my cutting board. Thank heavens for my bench scraper or I would have been totally lost. This was a good first attempt and I'm going to give it another shot.

No comments: