Monday, May 18, 2009

Pecan Crusted Tilapia

Tilapia is the kind of fish that takes other flavors very easily. It's so mild that if you cook it with anything else, the texture is really the only thing that remains to remind you're eating fish - the fish taste simply vanishes. We've done a really nice meal before with tilapia - cajun seasoning on the fish with red and green peppers and tomatoes - and I decided to give this recipe a try recently. I bought this bag of frozen tilapia fillets from Target (their Market Pantry brand) and when we had one before, the Husband said it tasted a little too fishy for tilapia. So I made this recipe when he worked late that night and figured I could make it again for him if it worked out. I will say that it didn't work out, but it wasn't just one thing - it was a combination of problems.




Pecan Crusted Tilapia

Serves: 4
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 8 minutes

½ C pecan halves
4 (6 oz) fresh tilapia fillets
1 t salt
½ t garlic powder
¼ t pepper
3 T butter

1. Process pecans in a food processor until finely chopped. Sprinkle fish with salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Dredge fish in finely chopped pecans.

2. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add fish, and cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until well browned and fish flakes with a fork.



I defrosted the tilapia overnight and it was ready to go. That's where a crucial step was left out of the recipe directions - pat the fish dry first. I really think this omission was the beginning of the end. I ground the pecans in my little food processor and spread them on a paper plate, seasoned the fish as directed, and then plopped the fish down on the plate to 'dredge' it in the chopped pecans. What started happening immediately is that the chopped pecans, finely chopped mind you, started to clump together and didn't want to adhere evenly to the fish. Then when I tried to spread them around to cover more of the fillet, they clumped more and started sticking to my fingers like dough. Ugh. I think patting the fish dry would have helped, but part of me thought the pecans might have been too fatty to use for this recipe. On the other hand, the Husband and I had a wonderful pecan-crusted trout at a fantastic tapas bar in Asheville, NC, a few years back and it was fantastic. So I know it can be done, but it just didn't want to work out for me.


Pecan Crusted Tilapia



I managed to get one piece semi-dredged in the chopped pecans, but by that point I had used up almost all of them up. I didn't want to chop more and waste them, so I applied the rest of the nuts to the other fish fillet as best I could, and put them in the pan. Here's where my next crucial error took place - I used too much butter in the pan. If the fish and nuts weren't soggy to begin with, they certainly were now. I also heated the pan too soon, so I had to remove the pan from the eye about 20 seconds before the fish were completely dredged and ready, as the butter had already started to smoke a little bit. I added more to compensate, but it was too much all together. At this point I was faced with one tilapia fillet with too many nuts in an uneven covering, one fillet with not nearly enough nuts, and too much butter in the pan. I was a hot mess.

Pecan Crusted Tilapia



After I felt the fish had cooked enough, which was a good bit longer than the 3-4 minutes suggested in the recipe, I removed them to a plate for inspection. The nuts hadn't really browned and they still weren't adhering very well. The one sad fillet with minimal nuts had pretty much lost the few survivors in the pan with the overabundance of butter, so he was naked. I covered him up with the other fillet. The taste was really underwhelming. Sure enough, the tilapia taste was pretty much nil, save for the nuts and salt, pepper and garlic powder, of which I could have added much more. The nuts were soggy and didn't have any crunch to them and the tilapia really did taste kind of fishy. I ate most of the two fillets I cooked to avoid throwing away my entire dinner, but I couldn't choke it all down. Even if I were to fix a few of my errors, I don't think I would cook this again.

No comments: